Wednesday, April 1, 2009

It's A Sad, Sad Day....

It's a sad day in soapland boys and girls. Daytime’s longest running drama, Guiding Light, has been cancelled. This really sucks because Guiding Light has been smoking lately. I had given up on it about 5 or 6 years ago - around the time they made Philip crazy and started writing Manny like complete crap. But once I heard that Philip was about to come back and that it had been improving I decided to check it out again and it's been on fire since.

In my opinion, this isn't just bad news for GL fans; this is soap history being flushed down the toilet. And for what? Rumour has it maybe a re-do of $25,000 Pyramid. Didn't a re-do of that already get cancelled a couple of years ago? Seriously CBS? Well, this is worrisome because if you look at the soap ratings, there are less than a million Neilson household shares separating GL from most of the other soaps out there. ATWT was barely renewed today, Days is on the brink, AMC isn't doing so hot and GH is sinking faster than the titanic. All this and this year marks the 10th Anniversary of the cancellation of Another World. This soap addict feels like Soap Armageddon is upon us!! I feel like gathering up all my old soap VHS tapes and eating a whole chocolate cake this weekend!! What else is a girl to do?! Well, this girl plans to call, email, mail letters and boycott the hell out of CBS – except the soaps of course. Frack’em! And to think when I raced home from work to watch Guiding Light today and thought I was having a surreal moment watching Edmund helping Reva while she went into labour today, I had no idea the surreal evil April Fool’s joke that was waiting for me on the internet afterwards. For once I wished I hadn't felt the need to feed my addiction and check daytimeconfidential.com today. Sigh. I am so depressed. :(

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry B - it is a sad day for all soap fans as we see even the longest running soaps ending their run. It doesn't bode well for other daytime dramas....which one will be next to go? :(

    ReplyDelete