Monday, April 13, 2009

The Crazy World of Soaps in Review: April 6th – April 10th 2009

Okay, so since I’ve been celebrating Easter this weekend this is going to be a short one and I have decided I will try to keep this weeks review as positive as possible. Well, I’ll try anyway –lol!

Sweetest Moment:

I’m going to have to gives this to Days of Our Lives, and the scene with EJ, Sami and Johnny. I admit it I’m an EJami fan so, I’m naturally a sucker for them having a family moment with their son, but come on it was frakking adorable! After Sami rushed to comfort EJ after hearing about Tony’s death, she had her grandmother drop off Johnny to cheer up EJ. I don’t know what was cuter, Johnny announcing he had an itch or Johnny turning to EJ and asking, “So, how was your work?” or EJ scooping him up and cuddling with him on the chair. I love this kid playing Johnny – he’s hysterical and nothing’s hotter than James Scott playing dad. For one brief moment on this show, life was good.


Soapiest Moment(s):

Okay, I thought the soapiest stuff this week was all about the Spauldings on Guiding Light. The week started with a possibly goodbye family dinner for Phillip and sarcastic comments flying everywhere, all leading up to Alan dumping the money that Phillip had been hiding from Grady’s murder on the table. Then, we saw Alan trying to bribe the Judge with this money to get his son, Phillip, sent to jail. The bribery worked and Phillip went to jail for about 5 minutes, until his son, James, manipulated the governor’s daughter into helping him out and getting the governor to pardon Phillip. The look on Alan’s face as Phillip sauntered in to the Spaulding mansion - priceless! This all culminated with a second Spaulding family dinner, where things got even better: Phillip and Alan competing to be the Alpha male of the family with things like talking over each other in a toast; Alexandra praising Phillip and trying to get under Alan’s skin; Lillian sitting beside Alan to play ‘babysitter’; Alan threatening Beth and James returning to town just in time to help her; James and Philip’s face to face meeting and James saying he wants nothing to do with his father and Phillip commenting on how he sounds just like him about Alan; Bill’s sarcastic commentary on the family gathering to Lizzie and then finally, Daisey or Susan or whatever the hell she’s calling herself these days, showing up as James’ guest – the Cooper and Lewis who once thought she was his sister shows up, thinking he’s just a cute guy and then finds out who he is – plus the reaction of the family – again, priceless!!! The Spauldings were on fire this week and I can’t wait to see what they bring next week! If only Guiding Light had remembered how to be fun and soapy sooner. Oh right, staying positive this week… Well, at least if Guiding Light has to go out, it will go out in a blaze of glory!


Funniest Moment:

Well, there were a lot of funny moments this week, but I think I have to give this to One Life to Live’s David Vickers and his hemorrhoid cream commercial. I blogged on it earlier, so I won’t spend too much time on this, but I still laugh when I think of him being so excited about becoming a spokesperson for it and Dorian looking appalled. Damn, I miss David when he’s not around.

Performance of the Week:

Okay, first I have to confess I watched General Hospital again. This is not my fault, I visited my parents and my mother made me honest –lol! Anyway, I rag on this show a lot but I have to give to praise Julie Marie Berman’s performance as Lulu and Johnny broke up. Sure, the writing was terrible and the whole thing was contrived as hell because this is General Hospital, but Julie sure knocked it out of the park! She had me crying right along with her as her world was falling apart. I loved her conversation with Tracy as she tried to get Lulu to snap out of it and help her stop Ethan. Oh, how I wish someone would stop Ethan and his bad Jack Sparrow impersonation from being on screen…. Anyway, back to positives, with a crappy show screwing up everything all the time Julie managed to make something shine out of that mess so she deserves the praise. Well, that sounded partially positive right? Sigh. Oh well, I tried but it’s hard when the JoLu and Spixie fan is in desperate need of a drink –lol!


Line(s) of the Week:

Okay, positive thoughts… here are some of my favourite lines of the week – you’ll see I wasn’t kidding about the greatness of the Spauldings:

Guiding Light:

Alan bribing the Judge on Phillip’s case:

Alan: Well, I can understand why that might be a conflict of interest, but I'm not here to talk about my son's trial. I'm here as a concerned citizen of Springfield. I'm concerned about our environment.
Judge: Oh, really? Hmm.
Alan: Yes. And I feel, as one of the leaders of this community, that I should be a part of setting the tone for the way we should be going, which I believe is green. And that's why I have purchased a vehicle. I'd love to show it to you.
Judge: You know, my daughter is on the Springfield green planning board.
Alan: Really?
Judge: Mm-hmm.
Alan: Well, maybe if she saw this, she'd buy a fleet for the entire city.
Judge: Well, then I guess I should have a look.
Alan: Well, please. And you'll notice that basically the car is the same. The motor is up in the front, and everything is the same. Now, the green part, your Honor, is back here. Let me show it to you. Now, that's green. That's why it is very important, your Honor, for us to agree on how to handle the environment in this city.
Judge: I'm not sure I'm as progressive as you are, Mr. Spaulding.
Alan: Well, of course you are, your Honor. We both want the same things. We want fresh air, pristine water, safer streets for our children to play in. But what we have to do is rid this city of all its toxins, so that the next generation will be safe. Now, when you took your oath of office as a judge, you said that you would be fair and make this city the best that you could. Isn't that what you want for your daughter and her family?
Judge: My daughter does love green.
Alan: Well, doesn't she need to be rewarded for all of her hard work? I mean, you know, we parents have to take care of our children. We know what's best for them.
Judge: You're a very convincing man, Mr. Spaulding.

Alan to Beth after Rick arrives to the party: Beth, I thought you told me this was supposed to be a family celebration.
Beth: Rick is practically part of the family.
Alan: Yeah, well, for you, Beth, every man at this table is practically part of the family.


James wants Daisey to stay for Dinner and Alan says: She tried to shoot me, so she is not welcome. You should leave.
Phillip: You did shoot me, and she is extremely welcome and staying.
Bill: Well, I vote she stays.
Lizzie: I vote yes.
Alan: I vote no.
Phillip: Of course you're welcome. You're not going to throw up, are you?
Daisy: I can't make any promises.




General Hospital:

Tracy isn’t too happy with Spinelli’s P.I. work and lets him know it: This is the best you can come up with?
Spinelli: I did exactly what the Abrasive One asked of me.
Tracy: I expect a little more than the address where Ethan is staying -- you're the Jackass.
Spinelli: The Jackal.
Later on Tracey tries to get Spinelli to leave: Jackass, why are you still standing here? You have work to do. Get back to me with any information you find.

One Life to Live:
David’s opening line in his national commercial: Not too shabby, eh? (plays with his tux) But it's nothing special for me. I'm out on the town every night of the week. Tonight it's a movie premiere, and I'm seated next to a couple of people named Brad and Angelina. But I can't go. Why not? Because of this. (goes to sit down) Oh! That's right, my friends. I can't sit down. Like many of you, I have known the painful agony of hemorrhoids.

That’s all for my recap this week. I hope I did my best to stay positive – I even said two nice things about GH –lol!

Ttyl!!

No comments:

Post a Comment