Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Week in Review in the World of Soaps

Since I’m just getting things started with the blog, I thought a good way to get my feet wet would be to touch on the highlights of what went on in the world of soaps this week, so here goes…

Sweetest Moment:

I have to give this to Guiding Light. When Philip accidentally ran into Emma at Company it was too cute. The look on his face when he finally got to see his daughter combined with how happy she was to see him had me in tears. It was nice to finally see someone genuinely happy to see him back in town for a change.

Tackiest Moment:

This is a two-way tie for Days of Our Lives. I couldn’t decide between Tony lamely telling Philip, “Well, what are you gonna do, huh, challenge me with your lightsaber, young Padawan?” and Tony getting staked on the docks when he fell down the stairs – so I’ll just give it to them for both. I think I’ve talked enough on the subject in my other entry – so let me just add another “WTF?” and leave it at that.

Craziest Moment:

This goes to the Young and the Restless for having a completely losing it Kevin lock Amber up in the closet with a very dead and probably smelly body. Poor Girl, she just kept talking her way back into that closet – lol!

Soapiest Moment:

I have to go with Jack walking in on Carly and Craig on As The World Turns. Sure, Jack and Carly are divorced but he still seems more interested in her life than his own, so it had to hurt when he opened the door and saw them ripping off each others clothes.

Saddest Moment:

Well, there’s a lot of heavy stuff going on over at One Life to Live, but I think the moment that got to me the most was when a recently paralyzed Matthew told his father, Bo, that he thought they should put him in a home because he didn’t want to be a burden on his parents. The comment caught both Bo and me by surprise and had me instantly in tears.

Worst Socially Relevant Storytelling:

It was tough to decide between General Hospital’s Post-Partum Depression Story with Robin and As the World Turns Luke and Noah fighting against the bigot landlords of the world but in the end I had to give it to the ATWT. Watching this was like watching a bad after school special. How hard would it have really been for Jean Passante to come up with something better for these two to do? Apparently a lot harder then I thought. The only good thing that came from this thing was Damian’s return. Hopefully the show won’t blow that too. Well, the good news is that this is ATWT so the story lasted less than week. That’s great news for GH, because that means they can still earn themselves this title later –lol!


Favourite Character:

I have to go with Guiding Light’s Philip Spaulding. This week, the one character I enjoyed the most was Philip. He was the one character I couldn’t wait to see more of and boy was his week full. He was questioned by the police. He put his father in place with a little bit of blackmail, who in turn tried to do all he could to get Philip put in jail. He went around town trying to make amends with people he had wronged. He had a re-union with one daughter and revealed to his eldest daughter that he had killed Grady to protect her. All that and then he had to go and get himself to court for a hearing with the audience left wondering if his daughter Lizzie would tell everyone what he had done - luckily she didn't. Since his return, Philip has been like a shot of energy into the show and I’m loving every minute of it!

Worst Character:

Since Melanie wasn’t on Days this week, this is an easy choice for me. This week it goes to One Life to Live’s Stacey. Gigi’s annoying sister continued to be an annoying bitch this week as she refused to give her nephew Shane her bone marrow unless Gigi broke up with Rex. You know, usually I love a bad girl – hell, I loved Days’ Vivian burying Carly alive and I liked Carly – but this girl I don’t get. She’s just a bitch for the sake of it. What’s her motivation? She had a crush on Rex in high school? I just don’t get it. It doesn’t help that she’s on every day either. I think I can safely speak for OLTL viewers everywhere when I say – “Please, Ron! Give us a break!!!”

Favourite Episode:

This week, my favourite episode in soapland was probably from the Young and the Restless, when a very dead Marge was narrating as her body was being tested to prove it wasn’t Katharine in the casket. Marge’s comments were not only hysterical, they were dead on! She was saying what a lot of us were probably thinking as we watched. And damn, she looked really good for a dead woman!


Okay, I think that’s enough rambling about last week, hear's hoping this week is a fun and crazy one in the soap world!

No comments:

Post a Comment